- Present participle of reply.
Denise was replying to an email when she was interrupted by her dog Dexter.
- An example of replying is writing back to a pen pal.
- An example of replying is to respond to an action by taking a similar action.
Replying is answering or responding.
- The officer glanced at him, and without replying turned again to the soldier.
- "The island of Madagascar," she said, "Ma-da-gas-car," she repeated, articulating each syllable distinctly, and, not replying to Madame Schoss who asked her what she was saying, she went out of the room.
- It may be summed up in his own words when replying to a deputation of Uitlanders, who desired to obtain the legalization of the use of the English language in the Transvaal.
- This offer President Lincoln (on the 6th of February) declined to consider, Seward replying for him that it would only be entering into diplomatic discussion with the rebels whether the authority of the government should be renounced, and the country delivered over to disunion and anarchy.
- The hussar only sighed without replying and coughed angrily.