An example of request is to ask for a menu in a restaurant.
An example of request is the song someone asked a band to play.
Wasn't happy until he got his request.
Requested information about the experiment; requested to see the evidence firsthand; requested that the bus driver stop at the next corner.
The police requested her to accompany them.
To grant a request.
A song much in request.
- In response to an expressed desire:.We are offering these scarves for sale again by request.
- In great demand:.A pianist in great request.
- When asked for:.References are available on request.
- In response to a request.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of request
- From Middle English requeste the act of requesting from Old French from Vulgar Latin (rēs) requaesita (thing) requested from alteration of Latin requīsīta feminine past participle of requīrere to ask for require
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French requeste (French: requÃªte), from Vulgar Latin *requÃ¦sita, from Latin requisita, feminine of requisitus (“requested, demanded"), past participle of requÄ«rÅ (“require, ask").