A provincial governor under the Ottoman Empire, a bey.
- Used to introduce a polite request.
- To assume to be true what one is purporting to prove in an argument.
- To call to mind a question in a discussion; invite or provoke a question.
- To disagree in a polite manner.
- to ask to be released from some obligation
- to use an argument that assumes as proved the very thing one is trying to prove
- to evade the issue
Other Word Forms of Beg
Origin of Beg
Middle English beggen possibly from Anglo-Norman begger from Old French begart lay brother, one who prays beggar
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Find Similar Words
Find similar words to beg using the buttons below.