An example of demand is a dog owner calling for their dog to come to them after escaping from the leash.
Demanded an explanation for the interruption.
A gem that demands a fine setting.
Supply should rise to meet demand.
Demand repayment of a loan.
On strike until they get their demands.
The heavy demands of her job; the emotional demands of his marriage; an increased oxygen demand.
In great demand as a speaker.
The work demands patience.
His job makes many demands on his time.
The bank is demanding the mortgage payment.
An example of demand is a court ordering a father to pay child support.
Demand an investigation into the murder; demanding that he leave immediately; demanded to speak to the manager.
- When presented for payment:.A note payable on demand.
- When needed or asked for:.Fed the baby on demand.
- Wanted or sought.
- When presented for payment.
Origin of demand
- Middle English demanden from Old French demander to charge with doing, and from Medieval Latin dēmandāre to demand both from Latin to entrust dē- de- mandāre to entrust man-2 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French demander.