- When the government pays for part of the cost of producing food on a farm so that the food costs less for consumers, this is an example of when the government subsidizes.
- When your parents pick up part of the cost of your rent, this is an example of when they subsidize your lifestyle.
- to support with a subsidy
- to buy the aid or support of with a subsidy, often as a kind of bribe
Origin of subsidize; from subsidy + -ize
transitive verbsub·si·dized, sub·si·diz·ing, sub·si·diz·es
- To assist or support with a subsidy.
- To secure the assistance of by granting a subsidy.