- When the government pays for part of the cost of producing food on a farm so that the food costs less for consumers, this is an example of when the government subsidizes.
- When your parents pick up part of the cost of your rent, this is an example of when they subsidize your lifestyle.
Subsidize is to pay part of the costs of producing or doing something.
- to support with a subsidy
- to buy the aid or support of with a subsidy, often as a kind of bribe
Origin of subsidize; from subsidy + -ize
transitive verbsub·si·dized, sub·si·diz·ing, sub·si·diz·es
- To assist or support with a subsidy.
- To secure the assistance of by granting a subsidy.