- Subsidize is to pay part of the costs of producing or doing something.
- When the government pays for part of the cost of producing food on a farm so that the food costs less for consumers, this is an example of when the government subsidizes.
- When your parents pick up part of the cost of your rent, this is an example of when they subsidize your lifestyle.
transitive verbsub·si·dized, sub·si·diz·ing, sub·si·diz·es
- To assist or support with a subsidy.
- To secure the assistance of by granting a subsidy.