- The definition of finance is the management of money matters.
An example of finance is the department that handles the budgets for a company.
- Finance is defined as to provide money or credit for something.
An example of finance is a bank loaning someone money to purchase a house.
finance definition by Webster's New World
- the money resources, income, etc. of a nation, organization, or person
- the managing or science of managing money matters, credit, etc.
Origin: Middle English finaunce, a fine, forfeit ; from Old French finance, wealth, revenue ; from finer, to end, settle accounts, pay ransom ; from fin: see fine
finance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The science of the management of money and other assets.
- The management of money, banking, investments, and credit.
- finances Monetary resources; funds, especially those of a government or corporate body.
- The supplying of funds or capital.
- To provide or raise the funds or capital for: financed a new car.
- To supply funds to: financing a daughter through law school.
- To furnish credit to.
Origin: Middle English finaunce, settlement, money supply, from Old French finance, payment, from finer, to pay ransom, from fin, end, from Latin fīnis.
- fi·nanceˈa·ble adjective
finance - Ologies & -Isms Definition
finance - Business Definition
- To raise funds for. For example, a company may need to finance a new project.
- To supply funds for. For example, a couple may finance most of their child's college education.