- a specter; ghost
- any person suggestive of a specter or ghost, as an eccentric, a secret agent, etc.
Origin: Du, akin to German spuk
- to haunt (a person or place)
- to startle, frighten, make nervous, annoy, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Informal A ghost; a specter.
- Slang A secret agent; a spy.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.
- To haunt.
- To startle and cause nervous activity in; frighten: The news spooked investors, and stock prices fell.
Origin: Dutch, from Middle Dutch spooc.