- The definition of a convent is a home for nuns or monks.
An example of a convent is a place where Catholic sisters live.
convent definition by Webster's New World
- a community of nuns or, sometimes, monks, living under strict religious vows
- the building or buildings occupied by such a community
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin conventus, assembly (in Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin religious house, convent), origin, originally past participle of convenire, convene
convent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A community, especially of nuns, bound by vows to a religious life under a superior.
- The building or buildings occupied by such a community.
Origin: Middle English covent, from Old French, from Medieval Latin conventus, from Latin, assembly, from past participle of convenīre, to assemble; see convene.
convent - Cultural Definition
A community of people in a religious order, especially nuns.