- of or characteristic of a monastery
- of or characteristic of monks or nuns or their way of life; ascetic, austere, etc.
Origin of monasticMiddle English monastik ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin monasticus ; from Ecclesiastical Late Greek ; from Classical Greek monastikos ; from monazein: see monastery
one living a monastic life
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a monastery. Used often of monks and nuns.
- Resembling life in a monastery in style, structure, or manner, especially:a. Secluded and contemplative.b. Strictly disciplined or regimented.c. Self-abnegating; austere.
Origin of monasticMiddle English monastik, from Old French monastique, from Late Latin monasticus, from Late Greek monastikos, from Greek monazein, to live alone; see monastery.
(comparative more monastic, superlative most monastic)
- A person with monastic ways; a monk.