- The definition of struggling is fighting, or having difficulty working through obstacles to achieve a goal.
An example of someone struggling is a person spending hours on a math problem with no success; a struggling student.
Variant of struggle
- to contend or fight violently with an opponent
- to make great efforts or attempts; strive; labor
- to make one's way with difficulty: to struggle through a thicket
Origin: Middle English strogelen from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- to bring, put, do, etc. by struggling
- to make (one's way) with difficulty
- great effort or a series of efforts; violent exertion
- conflict; strife; contention
- struggler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.