intransitive verbstrummed, strum′ming
- to play (a guitar, banjo, etc.), esp. with long strokes across the strings and often in a casual or aimless way, or without much skill
- to play (a tune) in this way
Origin of strumechoic
verbstrummed, strum·ming, strums
- To play (a stringed musical instrument) by stroking or brushing the strings: strum a banjo.
- To play (music) on a stringed instrument in this way: strum chords on a guitar.
Origin of strumPerhaps imitative
(third-person singular simple present strums, present participle strumming, simple past and past participle strummed)
- The sound made by playing various strings of a stringed instrument simultaneously.
- The act of strumming.
- (archaic) plural form of struma