- the row of warp thread ends left on a loom when the web is cut off
- any of these ends
- any short end thread or fringe
- [pl.]Naut. short pieces of woolen or hempen yarn for thrumming canvas
Origin of thrumMiddle English from Old English (in compound ), ligament, akin to German trumm from Indo-European base an unverified form ter-, to pass over, cross from source trans-, term
transitive verbthrummed, thrum′ming
- to provide with or make of thrums; fringe
- Naut. to insert thrums in (canvas) to make a rough surface that helps to prevent chafing, stop leaks, etc.