The definition of industrious is someone who is hardworking, dedicated and a problem solver.
An example of industrious is an employee who works hard and comes up with creative ideas.
- Obs. skillful or clever
- characterized by earnest, steady effort; hardworking; diligent
Origin of industriousfrom French or L: French industrieux from Classical Latin industriosus from industria: see industry
- Energetic in application to work or study. See Synonyms at diligent.
- Obsolete Skillful; clever.
(comparative more industrious, superlative most industrious)
- Hard-working and persistent; worksome.
- I was very industrious in my effort to learn unicycle riding.