- The definition of ambitious is to be very driven, eager and motivated.
An example of someone ambitious is someone who sets a goal to break a world record.
ambitious definition by Webster's New World
- full of or showing ambition
- greatly desirous (of something); eager for
- demanding great effort, skill, enterprise, etc.: an ambitious undertaking
Origin: Middle English ambicious ; from Classical Latin ambitiosus, seeking favor ; from ambitio: see ambition
- ambitiously adverb
ambitious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Full of, characterized by, or motivated by ambition.
- Greatly desirous; eager: “I am not ambitious of ridicule” (Edmund Burke).
- Requiring or showing much effort; challenging: an ambitious schedule.
- am·biˈtious·ly adverb
- am·biˈtious·ness noun