An example of someone ambitious is someone who sets a goal to break a world record.
- full of or showing ambition
- greatly desirous (of something); eager for
- demanding great effort, skill, enterprise, etc.: an ambitious undertaking
Origin of ambitiousMiddle English ambicious ; from Classical Latin ambitiosus, seeking favor ; from ambitio: see ambition
- Full of, characterized by, or motivated by ambition.
- Greatly desirous; eager: “I am not ambitious of ridicule” (Edmund Burke).
- Requiring or showing much effort; challenging: an ambitious schedule.
(comparative ambitiouser or more ambitious, superlative ambitiousest or most ambitious)
- Possessing, or controlled by ambition; greatly or inordinately desirous of power, honor, office, superiority, or distinction.
- Strongly desirous—followed by "of" or the infinitive; as, ambitious to be or to do something.
- Springing from, characterized by, or indicating, ambition; showy; aspiring.
- an ambitious style
- Hard to achieve.
- Said of people, projects, plans, goals, etc.