- The definition of consciousness is the state of being awake, alert to what is going on around you, or aware of feelings.
- Any time when you are awake and know what is going on, instead of asleep, is an example of consciousness.
- Learning about feminist concepts for the first time is an example of having your consciousness raised about feminist issues.
- the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own feelings, what is happening around one, etc.
- the totality of one's thoughts, feelings, and impressions; conscious mind
- The state or condition of being conscious.
- A sense of one's personal or collective identity, including the attitudes, beliefs, and sensitivities held by or considered characteristic of an individual or group: Love of freedom runs deep in the national consciousness.
- a. Special awareness or sensitivity: class consciousness; race consciousness.b. Alertness to or concern for a particular issue or situation: a movement aimed at raising the general public's consciousness of social injustice.
- In psychoanalysis, the conscious.
(countable and uncountable, plural consciousnesses)
conscious + -ness