- Any time when you are awake and know what is going on, instead of asleep, is an example of consciousness.
- Learning about feminist concepts for the first time is an example of having your consciousness raised about feminist issues.
The definition of consciousness is the state of being awake, alert to what is going on around you, or aware of feelings.
- the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own feelings, what is happening around one, etc.
- the totality of one's thoughts, feelings, and impressions; conscious mind
- The state or condition of being conscious.
- A sense of one's personal or collective identity, including the attitudes, beliefs, and sensitivities held by or considered characteristic of an individual or group: Love of freedom runs deep in the national consciousness.
- a. Special awareness or sensitivity: class consciousness; race consciousness.b. Alertness to or concern for a particular issue or situation: a movement aimed at raising the general public's consciousness of social injustice.
- In psychoanalysis, the conscious.
(countable and uncountable, plural consciousnesses)
conscious + -ness