A person who has his hair uncombed, his shirt untucked and stains on his shirt is an example of someone who would be described as disheveled.
- disarranged and untidy; tousled; rumpled: said of hair, clothing, etc.
- having disheveled hair or clothing
Origin of disheveledMiddle English discheveled ; from Old French deschevelé (pp. of descheveler, to tousle ; from des-, dis- + chevel, hair ; from Classical Latin capillus) + -ed, -ed
- Being in loose disarray; unkempt, as hair or clothing.
- Marked by disorder; untidy: a disheveled pile of books on the library table.
Origin of disheveledMiddle English discheveled, from Old French deschevele, past participle of descheveler, to disarrange the hair : des-, apart; see dis– + chevel, hair (from Latin capillus).
- simple past tense and past participle of dishevel