An example of a squid is the creature featured in the movie The Beast in 1996.
Origin of squidprobably ; from squit, dialect, dialectal for squirt
- to take on an elongated squidlike shape due to strong air pressure: said of a parachute
- to fish for squid or with squid as bait
Origin of SQUIDs(uperconducting) qu(antum) i(nterference) d(evice)
nounpl. squids or squid
Origin of squidOrigin unknown.
Origin of SQUIDs(uperconducting) qu(antum) i(nterference) d(evice).
(plural squids or squid)
- Any of several carnivorous marine cephalopod mollusks, of the order Teuthida, having a mantle, eight arms, and a pair of tentacles
- A fishhook with a piece of bright lead, bone, or other substance fastened on its shank to imitate a squid.
- (mildly pejorative) A sailor in the Navy.
- (UK, slang, humorous, rare) A quid; one pound sterling.
- Can you lend me five squid? I feel like a bacon sarnie.
Unknown. Perhaps related to squirt
- (slang, motorcycling, pejorative) A motorcyclist characterized by lack of riding gear, reckless/careless/unsafe riding, especially of sport bikers.
squid - Computer Definition
(Superconducting QUantum Interference Device) An electronic detection system that uses Josephson junctions circuits. It is capable of detecting extremely weak signals.