- The definition of a sailor is a person who lives, works or travels by sea.
An example of a sailor is a person serving in the navy.
A group of sailors on the deck of their ship.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who makes a living by sailing; mariner; seaman
- an enlisted man in the navy
- any person in the navy
- a person sailing on a vessel, as affected by seasickness: a good or bad sailor
- a straw hat with a low, flat crown and flat brim
Origin: Middle English sailer
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who serves in a navy or works on a ship.
- One who travels by water.
- A low-crowned straw hat with a flat top and flat brim.