A group of sailors on the deck of their ship.
The definition of a sailor is a person who lives, works or travels by sea.
An example of a sailor is a person serving in the navy.
- a person who makes a living by sailing; mariner; seaman
- an enlisted person in the navy
- any person in the navy
- any person who engages in sailing for recreation
- a straw hat with a low, flat crown and flat brim
Origin of sailorMiddle English sailer
- One who serves in a navy or works on a ship.
- One who travels by water.
- A low-crowned straw hat with a flat top and flat brim.
- One who follows the business of navigating ships or other vessels; one who understands the practical management of ships; one of the crew of a vessel; a mariner; a common seaman.