- a person or thing that skims
- any utensil used in skimming liquids
- any of a family (Rynchopidae) of long-winged shorebirds that use their elongated lower bill to scoop up food while skimming over water
- any of a family (Libellulidae) of large dragonflies that hover low over ponds, ditches, etc.
- ☆ a hat, usually of straw, with a flat crown and a wide, straight brim
See skimmer in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- One that skims, such as a large perforated spoon used in skimming liquids.
- A light, usually straw hat with a stiff wide brim and a flat shallow crown.
a. Any of several chiefly coastal birds of the genus Rynchops, having long narrow wings and a long bill with a longer lower mandible for skimming the water's surface for food.
b. A black skimmer.
(click for a larger image)
Learn more about skimmer