skimmer definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person or thing that skims
- any utensil used in skimming liquids
- any of a family (Rynchopidae) of long-winged shorebirds that use their elongated lower bill to scoop up food while skimming over water
- any of a family (Libellulidae) of large dragonflies that hover low over ponds, ditches, etc.
- ☆ a hat, usually of straw, with a flat crown and a wide, straight brim
skimmer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that skims, such as a large perforated spoon used in skimming liquids.
- A light, usually straw hat with a stiff wide brim and a flat shallow crown.
- a. Any of several chiefly coastal birds of the genus Rynchops, having long narrow wings and a long bill with a longer lower mandible for skimming the water's surface for food.b. A black skimmer.