- [sometimesL-] any of a breed of small, domestic chicken with white feathers, originating in the Mediterranean region: the prevalent egg-producing breed in the U.S.
- a plaiting made of an Italian wheat straw, cut green and bleached when dry
- a hat, typically broad-brimmed, made of this straw
Origin of leghornafter Leghorn
seaport in Tuscany, W Italy, on the Ligurian Sea
Origin of Leghornaltered by folk etymology from Italian Livorno
- a. The dried and bleached straw of an Italian variety of wheat.b. A braided fabric made from this straw.c. A hat made from this fabric.
- often Leghorn Any of a breed of small, hardy domestic chickens of Mediterranean origin, noted for prolific production of eggs.
Origin of leghornAfter Leghorn
- A type of dried wheat straw, fabric made from it, or a hat made from that fabric.
- A member of a breed of chickens.
- The cartoon character 'Foghorn Leghorn' was obviously not actually a leghorn because he was much too big.
- A breed of mostly white poultry.