- The definition of legible refers to print or writing that is neat and clear enough to read.
An example of legible is neatly written text.
- that can be read or deciphered
- that can be read or deciphered easily
Origin of legibleMiddle English (northern) legeable ; from Late Latin legibilis ; from Classical Latin legere, to read: see logic
- Possible to read or decipher: legible handwriting.
- Plainly discernible; apparent: a legible weakness in disposition.
Origin of legibleMiddle English, from Late Latin legibilis, from Latin legere, to read; see leg- in Indo-European roots.
- leg′i·bil′i·ty, leg′i·ble·ness
(comparative more legible, superlative most legible)
- Being clear enough to be read, readable, particularly for handwriting.
From Late Latin legibilis (“that can be read”).