Spawn is to give birth to or produce.verb
An example of spawn is when you have a child.
Spawn is defined as the offspring of a person or animal.noun
An example of spawn is a person's children.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
transitive verb, intransitive verb
- to produce or deposit (eggs, sperm, or young)
- to bring forth or be the source of (esp. something regarded with contempt and produced in great numbers)
- Hort. to plant with spawn, or mycelium
Origin: ME spaunnen (for *spaunden) < Anglo-Fr espaundre < OFr espandre, to shed < L expandere: see expand
- the mass of eggs or young produced by fish, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians, etc.
- something produced, esp. in great quantity; specif., numerous offspring or progeny: usually contemptuous
- the mycelium of fungi, esp. of mushrooms grown to be eaten
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The eggs of aquatic animals such as bivalve mollusks, fishes, and amphibians.
- Offspring occurring in numbers; brood.
- A person who is the issue of a parent or family.
- The source of something; a germ or seed.
- A product or an outcome.
- Mycelia of mushrooms or other fungi grown in specially prepared organic matter for planting in beds.
- To deposit eggs; produce spawn.
- To produce offspring in large numbers.
- To produce or deposit (spawn).
- To produce in large numbers.
- To give rise to; engender: tyranny that spawned revolt.
- To cause to spawn; bring forth; produce: a family that had spawned a monster.
- To plant with mycelia grown in specially prepared organic matter.
Origin: Middle English spawne, from spawnen, to spawn, from Anglo-Norman espaundre, from Latin expandere; see expand.
- spawnˈer noun
spawn - Computer Definition
To launch another program from the current program. The child program is spawned from the parent program.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
spawn - Science Definition
- The eggs of water animals such as fish, amphibians, and mollusks.
- Offspring produced in large numbers.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.