- multiplying freely by means of buds, side branches, etc.
- having leafy shoots growing from a flower or fruit
- Zool. reproducing by budding, as coral
Origin of proliferousfrom Medieval Latin prolifer from Classical Latin proles (see prolific) + ferre, to bear + -ous
- Zoology Reproducing freely by means of buds and side branches, as corals do.
- Botany Freely producing buds or offshoots, especially from unusual places, as shoots from flowers or fruits from fruits.
Origin of proliferousFrom Medieval Latin prōlifer Latin prōlēs prōl- offspring ; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.Latin -fer -fer