- The definition of an organism is a creature such as a plant, animal or a single-celled life form, or something that has interdependent parts and that is being compared to a living creature.
- An example of an organism is a dog, person or bacteria.
- An example of an organism is one party in the political organism.
- any individual animal, plant, bacterium, etc. having various parts or systems that function together as a whole to maintain life and its activities
- anything resembling a living thing in its complexity of structure or functions
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An individual form of life, such as a plant, animal, bacterium, protist, or fungus; a body made up of organs, organelles, or other parts that work together to carry on the various processes of life.
- A system regarded as analogous in its structure or functions to a living body: the social organism.
- orˌgan·isˈmal , orˌgan·isˈmic adjective
- orˌgan·isˈmi·cal·ly adverb
organism - Medical Definition
- organismal , orˌgan·isˈmic adjective
organism - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.