- Protist is the highest scientific classification of a group of one-celled organisms.
An example of a protist is the group of microscopic organisms that cause maleria.
Origin: from Glassical Greek prōtistos, first from prōtos, first: see proto-
- protistan adjective, noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of a group of eukaryotic organisms belonging to the kingdom Protista according to some widely used modern taxonomic systems. The protists include a variety of unicellular, coenocytic, colonial, and multicellular organisms, such as the protozoans, slime molds, brown algae, and red algae.
- A unicellular protoctist in taxonomic systems in which the protoctists are considered to form a kingdom.
Origin: From New Latin Prōtista, former kingdom name, from Greek prōtista, neuter pl. of prōtistos, the very first, superlative of prōtos, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- pro·tisˈtan adjective & n.
- proˌtis·tolˈo·gy noun
protist - Medical Definition
protist - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.