- An example of an embryo is when you have a viable female human egg that has been fertilized with a man's sperm.
- An example of an embryo is the draft of a series of new laws protecting human rights that will be used in the development of a constitution to govern a country where a human rights violation is taking place.
The definition of an embryo is an unborn but developing child or animal, or something in the early stages that shows potential for development.
- an animal in the earliest stages of its development in the uterus or the egg, specif., in humans, from conception to about the eighth week
- an early or undeveloped stage of something
- anything in such a stage
- the rudimentary plant contained in a seed, usually made up of hypocotyl, radicle, plumule, and cotyledons
Origin of embryoMiddle English embrio ; from Medieval Latin embryo ; from Classical Greek embryon, embryo, fetus, thing newly born, neuter of embryos, growing in ; from en-, in + bryein, to swell, be full
embryo, embryonic: embryology
also, before a vowel, em′bry-
- a. The collection of cells that has developed from the fertilized egg of a vertebrate animal, before all the major organs have developed.b. A collection of such cells of a human, especially from implantation in the uterine wall through the eighth week of development.
- Botany The young sporophytic plant contained within a seed or an archegonium.
- An organism at any time before full development, birth, or hatching.
- A rudimentary or beginning stage: an idea that was the embryo of a short story.
Origin of embryoMedieval Latin embryō, from Greek embruon : en-, in; see en–2 + bruein, to be full to bursting.
(plural embryos or embryones)
- In the reproductive cycle, the stage after the fertilization of the egg that precedes the development into a fetus.
- An organism in the earlier stages of development before it emerges from the egg, or before metamorphosis.
- In viviparous animals, the young animal's earliest stages in the mother's body
- In humans, usually the cell growth up to the end of the seventh week in the mother's body
- (botany) A rudimentary plant contained in the seed.
- The beginning; the first stage of anything.
A Medieval Latin corruption of Ancient Greek ἔμβρυον (embruon, “fetus”), from ἐν (en-, “in-”) + βρύω (bruō, “I grow, swell”).