- The definition of a factory is where something is made or assembled.
An example of a factory is a place where cars are built.
- A factory is defined as something that makes things quickly and in great quantities.
An example of factory is a child's school where germs are spread quickly, a "germ factory."
Two machinist working in a factory.
- a building or buildings in which things are manufactured; manufacturing plant
Origin of factory< Port feitoria a trading settlement maintained by factors
Origin of factoryFrench factorie ; from facteur: see factor
- a. A building or group of buildings in which goods are manufactured; a plant.b. See factory ship.
- A business establishment for commercial agents or factors in a foreign country.
- The source of prolific production: a rock group that was a hit-tune factory; a motel that served as an illegal drug factory.
Origin of factoryLate Latin factōria, oil press, mill, and Medieval Latin factōria, establishment for factors, both from Latin factor, factor; see factor.