- The definition of an apartment is a place where a person lives that may be part of a building containing other apartments.
An example of an apartment is a small group of rooms over the garage that a family rents out to their grown son.
An apartment building.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a room or suite of rooms to live in; esp., one suite in an apartment house
- ☆ an apartment house
Origin: French appartement ; from Italian appartamento ; from appartare, to separate ; from a, to plush parte, part
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A room or suite of rooms designed as a residence and generally located in a building occupied by more than one household.
- An apartment house: a row of high-rise apartments.
- A room.
- apartments Chiefly British A suite of rooms within a larger building set aside for a particular purpose or person.
Origin: French appartement, from Italian appartamento, from appartare, to separate, from a parte, apart : a, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + parte, side (from Latin pars, part-; see part).