- The definition of an apartment is a place where a person lives that may be part of a building containing other apartments.
An example of an apartment is a small group of rooms over the garage that a family rents out to their grown son.
An apartment building.
- a room or suite of rooms to live in; esp., one suite in an apartment house
- ☆ an apartment house
Origin of apartmentFrench appartement ; from Italian appartamento ; from appartare, to separate ; from a, to + parte, part
of, in, or for an apartment or apartments
- A room or suite of rooms designed as a residence and generally located in a building occupied by more than one household.
- An apartment building: a row of high-rise apartments.
- A room.
- apartments Chiefly British A suite of rooms within a larger building set aside for a particular purpose or person.
Origin of apartmentFrench appartement, from Italian appartamento, from appartare, to separate, from a parte, apart : a, to (from Latin ad; see ad–) + parte, side (from Latin pars, part-; see part).