An example of Apartheid is a society where white people are considered superior and people of other races are mistreated.
- the official policy (c. 1950-91) of strict racial segregation and discrimination against nonwhites practiced in South Africa
- any policy or condition of discriminatory segregation or separation
Origin of apartheidAfrik, the state of being separate ; from apart, apart + -heid, noun suffix akin to -hood
- An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.
- A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.
- The condition of being separated from others; segregation.
Origin of apartheidAfrikaans : Dutch apart, separate (from French à part, apart; see apart) + Dutch -heid, -hood.
(countable and uncountable, plural apartheids)