- The definition of an abode is a residence or a place where a person lives or stays for a long time.
An example of an abode is someone's home or apartment.
A modest little abode.
abode definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English abad, abood ; from past participle of abiden, abide
abode definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A dwelling place; a home.
- The act of abiding; a sojourn.
Origin: Middle English abod, home, from abiden, to wait; see abide.
abode - Legal Definition
Variant of abide
- to stand fast; remain; go on being
- Archaic to stay; reside (in or at)
Origin: Middle English abiden ; from Old English ābīdan ; from ā-, intensive plush bīdan, bide
- to await
- to submit to; put up with