- The definition of a hut is a simple or temporary shelter.
An example of a hut is an open home made from local grasses.
A thatched hut in the jungle.
- A crude or makeshift dwelling or shelter; a shack.
- A temporary structure for sheltering troops.
tr. & intr.v.hut·ted, hut·ting, huts
To shelter or take shelter in a hut.
Origin of hutFrench hutte, of Germanic origin; see (s)keu- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present huts, present participle hutting, simple past and past participle hutted)
- (rare, archaic) to put into a hut
- to hut troops in winter quarters
- (rare, archaic, intransitive) to take shelter in a hut