- The definition of a hovel is a small shelter, or a low, open shed.
An example of a hovel is a tiny cramped apartment.
- Hovel is defined as to shelter or store in a tiny space.
An example of hovel is for a squirrel to store nuts in a tiny hole.
Hovels on the waterfront.
hovel definition by Webster's New World
- a low, open shed as for sheltering animals or storing supplies or equipment
- any small, miserable dwelling; hut
Origin: Middle English ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
hovel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small, miserable dwelling.
- An open, low shed.
Origin: Middle English, hut.