- The definition of a cottage is a small, single story house on a farm or in the country, or on a resort and used as a vacation rental.
An example of a cottage is a small house you would rent while on vacation.
cottage definition by Webster's New World
- a small, usually one-storied house, often one that is the dwelling of a peasant or a farm laborer
- ☆ a house at a resort or in the country, used for vacations or as a summer home
- ☆ any of several separate dwelling units, as of an institution or camp, in which residents are housed in small groups
Origin: Middle English cotage ; from Midieval Latin cotagium ; from Old French cote or Middle English cot, cot
cottage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small, single-storied house, especially in the country.
- A small vacation house.
Origin: Middle English cotage, from Anglo-Norman, from Medieval Latin cotāgium, of Germanic origin.