- Lavatory is defined as a bathroom with a toilet and washbowl, or can also refer to just the toilet.
- When you need to urinate and you go to a room where a toilet is located, the room you go to is an example of a lavatory.
- The toilet that you use to urinate into is an example of a lavatory.
A public lavatory.
- Now Rare a bowl or basin, esp. one with faucets and drainage, for washing the face and hands; washbowl
- a room equipped with a washbowl and flush toilet; toilet
- Chiefly Brit. a flush toilet
Origin of lavatoryLate Latin lavatorium ; from Classical Latin lavare, to wash: see lave
- A room equipped with washing and often toilet facilities; a bathroom.
- A washbowl or basin, especially one permanently installed with running water.
- A flush toilet.
Origin of lavatoryMiddle English, piscina, from Late Latin lavātōrium, from lavātor, launderer, from Latin lavāre, to wash; see leu(&schwa;)- in Indo-European roots.
- (dated) Washing, or cleansing by washing.