- Privy means something hidden.
An example of privy is not being aware of the reasons for a decision.
- The definition of a privy is a toilet.
An example of a privy is an outhouse.
- Obs. private; not public
- Archaic hidden, secret, furtive, etc.
Origin of privyMiddle English from Old French prive from Classical Latin privatus, private
- a toilet; esp., an outhouse
- Law a person who is in privity with another
- Made a participant in knowledge of something private or secret: was privy to classified information.
- Belonging or proper to a person, such as the British sovereign, in a private rather than official capacity.
- Secret; concealed.
- a. An outdoor toilet; an outhouse.b. A toilet.
- Law One in privity with another.
Origin of privyMiddle English prive from Old French from Latin prīvātus private from prīvus single, alone ; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more privy, superlative most privy)
privy - Legal Definition