a body of advisors or confidential counselors appointed by or serving a ruler, esp. a monarch
- privy councilor
- A council of the British sovereign that until the 1600s was the supreme legislative body, that now consists of cabinet ministers ex officio and others appointed for life, and that has no important function except through its Judicial Committee, which in certain cases acts as a supreme appellate court in the Commonwealth.
- privy council An advisory council to an executive.
- privy councilor privy councilor
(plural privy councils)
- A body of advisers to a sovereign functioning much as a cabinet.
- The British Privy Council.
Middle English prive + council