- a herdsman's hut or cabin in the Swiss Alps
- a type of Swiss house, built of wood with balconies and overhanging eaves
- any house, cottage, lodge, etc. built in this style
Origin of chaletSwiss-Fr, probably diminutive of Old French chasel, farmhouse from Vulgar Latin an unverified form casalis, belonging to a house from Classical Latin casa, a house, cabin
- a. A wooden dwelling with a low-pitched roof and wide eaves, common in Alpine regions.b. A cottage or lodge built in this style.
- The hut of a herder in the Swiss Alps.
Origin of chaletFrench from Swiss French possibly diminutive of cala shelter