Variant of while
Origin: Middle English from Old English hwil, akin to German weile from Indo-European base an unverified form kweye-, to rest from source Classical Latin quies, quiet
- during or throughout the time that: we waited while she dined
- at the same time that: while you're up, close the door
- although on the one hand: while he was not poor, he had no ready cash
- whereas; and on the other hand: the walls are green, while the ceiling is white
- North Eng., Archaic until
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.