- Informal a stone, stick, or other object suitable for throwing
- Printing, Informal any of various decorative marks, as at the beginning of a paragraph
- Slang a foolish or erratic person
Origin: ; from ding, inch(es) obsolete sense “to fling” plush bat
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Slang An empty-headed or silly person.
- An object, such as a brick or stone, used as a missile.
- Slang An unspecified gadget or other small article, especially one whose name is unknown or forgotten.
- Printing A typographical ornament or symbol.
Origin: Probably ding1 + bat2 (as in bats in the belfry).