The definition of foolish is a silly, embarrassed or ridiculous person or act.
An example of foolish is someone tripping over their own feet.
- without good sense; silly; unwise
- ridiculous; absurd
- abashed; embarrassed
- Archaic humble
Origin of foolishMiddle English folish
- Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment; silly: a foolish boy; a foolish purchase.
- Capable of arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous: a foolish grin.
- Embarrassed; abashed: I feel foolish telling you this.
- Insignificant; trivial: foolish little knickknacks.
foolish silly fatuous absurd preposterous ridiculous ludicrous
These adjectives are applied to what is so devoid of wisdom or good sense as to be laughable: a foolish expenditure of energy; a silly argument; made fatuous remarks; an absurd idea that is bound to fail; a preposterous excuse that no one believed; offered a ridiculous explanation for his tardiness; a ludicrous criticism that was immediately dismissed.
(comparative foolisher or more foolish, superlative foolishest or most foolish)
fool + -ish