The definition of foolish is a silly, embarrassed or ridiculous person or act.
An example of foolish is someone tripping over their own feet.
- without good sense; silly; unwise
- ridiculous; absurd
- abashed; embarrassed
- Archaic humble
Origin of foolishMiddle English folish
- Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment; silly: a foolish boy; a foolish purchase.
- Capable of arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous: a foolish grin.
- Embarrassed; abashed: I feel foolish telling you this.
- Insignificant; trivial: foolish little knickknacks.
(comparative foolisher or more foolish, superlative foolishest or most foolish)
fool + -ish
How would you define foolish? Add your definition here.comments powered by Disqus