- A philosophy, often translated into art forms, holding that humans exist in a meaningless, irrational universe and that any search for order by them will bring them into direct conflict with this universe: “True absurdism is not less but more real than reality” (John Simon).
- An act or instance of the ridiculous: “This strained conceit never quite locates screen equivalents for the stage absurdisms” (Village Voice).
- ab·surdˈist adjective & n.
Variant of absurdist
- designating or holding the belief that human existence is absurd, irrational, meaningless, etc.
- of, relating to, or associated with the theater of the absurd
- absurdism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.