The definition of insurmountable is something that is too difficult or too great to overcome.
An example of something that would be described as insurmountable is an obstacle for which there truly is no way to get around.
Impossible to surmount; insuperable: insurmountable difficulties.
- in′sur·mount′a·bil′i·ty in′sur·mount′a·ble·ness
(comparative more insurmountable, superlative most insurmountable)
- in- + surmountable
- Handling this month after month seemed an insurmountable task.
- Although the job of cleaning out her father's basement seemed insurmountable, Esther was determined to give it a try.
- The company will have an insurmountable problem if business doesn't improve soon.
- Nothing is insurmountable if one is determined enough.
- When people told my mom that earning her engineering degree was an insurmountable feat, she was even more determined to succeed.