- The definition of taurine is like a bull.
An example of something taurine is something related to the zodiac sign Taurus; a taurine-like character.
Taurine is defined as an organic acid that aids in digestion, increases muscle energy and muscle growth for animals.
Facts About Taurine
- Taurine is excreted as a component of the bile in your intestinal tract.
- It helps to lower cholesterol.
- It is used to:
- Combat the effects of aging
- Improve memory in memory-impaired patients
- Treat cystic fibrosis
- Treat hypertension
- Lower the blood sugar of diabetes patients
- It can cross the blood/brain barrier and is suspected of playing a role in:
- Calcium homeostasis
- Prevention of epileptic seizures
- Prevention of obesity
- Inhibiting neurotransmission
An example of taurine is an ingredient sometimes found in in body building supplements and energy drinks.
- of or like a bull
- [T-] of Taurus (sense )
Origin of taurineClassical Latin taurinus from taurus, bull: see Taurus
Origin of taurinefrom Classical Latin taurus (see Taurus) + -ine: because first obtained (1826) from ox bile
Origin of taurineLatin taurīnus from taurus bull ; see tauro- in Indo-European roots.
Origin of taurineGreek tauros bull (from its having been obtained first from ox bile) ; see tauro- in Indo-European roots. -ine 2
(comparative more taurine, superlative most taurine)
- Pertaining to a bull; bull-like.
From taur(ocholic) + -ine.
- (astrology) Of or pertaining to the zodiacal sign Taurus.
From Taurus +"Ž -ine.