- The definition of joust is a combat sport between two knights on horseback carrying a long sharp weapon, or a series of contests in a game or sport.
An example of joust is a sport played in medieval times.
- Joust is defined as to be in combat or sport against another knight on horseback with a long thin sharp weapon.
An example of joust is riding on the back of horse during a tournament at the Renaissance Fair.
Two medieval knights participating in a joust.
joust definition by Webster's New World
- a combat with lances between two knights on horseback; esp., such a formal combat as part of a tournament
- a tournament
Origin: Middle English jouste ; from Old French ; from jouster: see joustthe
Origin: ME justen < OFr jouster, juster < VL *juxtare, to approach, tilt < L juxta: see juxta-
joust definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A combat between two mounted knights or men-at-arms using lances; a tilting match.b. jousts A series of tilting matches; a tournament.
- A personal competition or combat suggestive of combat with lances: a politician who relishes a joust with reporters.
- To engage in mounted combat with lances; tilt.
- To engage in a personal combat or competition.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French juste, from juster, to joust, from Vulgar Latin *iūxtāre, to be next to, from Latin iūxtā, close by; see yeug- in Indo-European roots.
- joustˈer noun