- The definition of bout means a fight or competition.
An example of a bout is a boxing match.
- Bout is defined as a period of time where you have to deal with something.
An example of a bout is a week of having a stomach flu.
bout definition by Webster's New World
- Dialectal a going and coming back again, as across a field in plowing; turn
- a struggle; contest or match: a championship bout
- a period of time taken up by some activity, illness, etc.; spell: a bout of the flu, a bout of shopping
Origin: for earlier bought ; from Middle English bught, akin to Middle Low German bucht, bight; form and amp; meaning probably influenced, influence by 'bout ; from about
bout definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A contest between antagonists; a match: a wrestling bout.
- A period of time spent in a particular way; a spell: “His tremendous bouts of drinking had wrecked his health” (Thomas Wolfe).
Origin: From obsolete English bought, a turning (influenced by about), from Middle English, from bowen, to bend, turn; see bow2.