- a contest in which two teams pull at opposite ends of a rope, each trying to drag the other across a central line
- any power struggle between two parties
tug of wartug of war
tug of war
nounpl. tugs of war
- Games A contest of strength in which two teams tug on opposite ends of a rope, each trying to pull the other across a dividing line.
- A struggle for supremacy: a political tug of war between those in favor of the proposal and those against it.
(plural tugs of war)
- Alternative spelling of tug of war.