The definition of a rivalry is a competition or contest.
An example of a rivalry is the competion between the football teams of two neighboring high schools.
the act of rivaling or the fact or condition of being a rival or rivals; competition
- The act of competing or emulating.
- The state or condition of being a rival.
- The relationship between two or more rivals who regularly compete with each other. The term usually applies to two rivals.
- The Boston Bruins have a longstanding rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens.
- In economics, rivalry is a characteristic of a good. Rivalrous goods are those which can be consumed by only one person at the same time -- for example, a candy bar or a suit; a non-rivalrous good may be provided to more consumers at a very low marginal cost for each additional consumer.
- Common goods are those which are rivalrous in consumption but non-excludable