Variant of rival
- a person who tries to get or do the same thing as another, or to equal or surpass another; competitor
- a person or thing that can equal or surpass another in some way; person or thing that can bear comparison: plastics and other rivals of many metals
- Obsolete an associate or companion in some duty
Origin: Fr < L rivalis, orig., one living near or using the same stream as another < rivus, brook < IE *reie-, to flow < base *er-: see rise
- to try to equal or surpass; compete with
- to equal in some way; be a match for
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.