Profundity is defined as intellectual or emotional depth, or to an idea that shows great intellectual depth.
Having a deep understanding of the emotions of others and the ability to respond to those emotions in a truly understanding matter is an example of profundity.
- depth, esp. great depth
- intellectual depth
- a profound idea, matter, etc.
Origin of profundityMiddle English profundite from Middle French from Late Latin profunditas
- Great intellectual insight or understanding: profundity of thought.
- Intensity of feeling or conviction.
- Something profound or abstruse: the profundities of mathematics.
- Great extent downward; great depth.
Origin of profundityMiddle English profundite from Old French from Late Latin profunditās from Latin profundus deep ; see profound .