- An example of mental used as an adjective is the phrase a mental process which means a process that occurs in the mind.
- An example of mental used as an adjective is the phrase a mental illness which means a sickness in the mind.
The definition of mental is relating to the mind or to problems of the mind.
- of or for the mind or intellect: mental powers, mental aids
- done by, or carried on in, the mind (i.e., without using written symbols): mental arithmetic
- of, having, or related to mental illness or any psychiatric disorder: a mental patient, mental health
- Slang mentally deranged; insane: often in the phrase go mental
- for the mentally ill: a mental hospital
- having to do with mind reading, telepathy, etc.
Origin of mentalMiddle English from Middle French from Late Latin mentalis from Classical Latin mens (gen. mentis), mind
of the chin
Origin of mentalfrom Classical Latin mentum, the chin from Indo-European base an unverified form men-, to project + -al
- Of or relating to the mind: mental powers; mental health.
- Executed or performed by the mind; existing in the mind: mental calculation; a mental image.
- a. Slang Emotionally upset; crazed: got mental when he saw the dent in his new car.b. Offensive Slang Having a mental illness or intellectual disability.c. Often Offensive Relating to or being a place for housing or treating people with mental illness or intellectual disability: a mental ward.
Origin of mentalMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin mentālis from Latin mēns ment- mind ; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
Of or relating to the chin.
Origin of mentalFrom Latin mentum chin ; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.
- Of or relating to the mind or an intellectual process.
- (colloquial, comparable) Insane, mad, crazy.
- he is the most mental freshman I've seen yet; he went mental on us
- (colloquial, UK, comparable) Enjoyable; fun.
- That was a mental party last night.
- (anatomy) Of or relating to the chin or median part of the lower jaw, genial.
- the mental nerve; the mental region
- (biology) Of or relating to the chin-like or lip-like structure.